Dozens of Confederate flags were flown over public parking garages in Charleston, South Carolina, in protest after a black activist previously arrested for removing the flag from the state house flagpole was invited to speak at a local university.
A slave named Nearis Green taught Jasper “Jack” Daniels how to distill Tennessee whiskey.
Definition of refugee
One that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution.
- Black Americans live in a system of racist policing, mass incarceration and selective prosecution.
- 1.6 million black men are in American prisons, on probation or parole, double the number enslaved in 1850.
- Disproportionately black communities are victimized twice the number of whites for risky, high-cost loans.
- Black men receive prison sentences that are, on average, 20 percent longer than those of white men who committed the same crimes.
- Since 2010, 22 states have passed new voting restrictions that disproportionately affect black voters.
- In 2014, the median household income for whites was $71,300 compared to $43,300 for blacks. But for college-educated whites, the median household income was $106,600, significantly higher than the $82,300 for households headed by college-educated blacks;
Thousands of people from around the world flee to America as refugees, yet unable to flee to other countries, millions of Black Americans live like refugees in their own country.