US President Donald Trump’s senior adviser Kellyanne Conway has come under fire after a picture of her casually kneeling on a couch in the Oval Office was widely shared on social media. In an image captured by an AFP photographer, Conway appears on the couch with her shoes on as Trump poses for
Dozens of Confederate flags were flown over public parking garages in Charleston, South Carolina, in protest after a black activist previously arrested for removing the flag from the state house flagpole was invited to speak at a local university.
A slave named Nearis Green taught Jasper “Jack” Daniels how to distill Tennessee whiskey.
Definition of refugee
One that flees; especially : a person who flees to a foreign country or power to escape danger or persecution.
- Black Americans live in a system of racist policing, mass incarceration and selective prosecution.
- 1.6 million black men are in American prisons, on probation or parole, double the number enslaved in 1850.
- Disproportionately black communities are victimized twice the number of whites for risky, high-cost loans.
- Black men receive prison sentences that are, on average, 20 percent longer than those of white men who committed the same crimes.
- Since 2010, 22 states have passed new voting restrictions that disproportionately affect black voters.
- In 2014, the median household income for whites was $71,300 compared to $43,300 for blacks. But for college-educated whites, the median household income was $106,600, significantly higher than the $82,300 for households headed by college-educated blacks;
Thousands of people from around the world flee to America as refugees, yet unable to flee to other countries, millions of Black Americans live like refugees in their own country.